Sunday, May 27, 2012

Disney Dreams: The Lion King - week 7

This week was slower going than usual. I started adding some yellow, and one of the shades of yellow is tweeded with the pearl filament. It makes the sunshine sparkly and it looks really good, but that pearl filament is a pain in the butt to work with! Don't get me wrong, the end result is totally worth it to have the added sparkle, but when I use it, I tend to work slower since it likes to snag and it always feels like it is about to snap.

Here is my progress picture. You can't really see the sparkle very well in this photo, but I'm sure it'll show up eventually in one of my progress shots.


Sunday, May 20, 2012

Disney Dreams: Lion King - Week 6

Here is my progress on my Lion King cross stitch. I have the close-up shot, and this time I am also including a picture further out to better convey the actual size of this thing. I was showing pictures to a friend of mine, and he wanted to see how big this thing will get.
I have it in a frame, so the entire width isn't shown, but you can get an idea from the height.




Saturday, May 19, 2012

Custom Kirby

I haven't been working on my Disney project for the past week. I had a custom order for one of the iphone cases that I make, so I had to finish that first. I did manage to take a picture of it before I sent it off to its new home.
With an actual phone in the case, the holes won't be so noticeable.



This was my first custom order request, so I'm pretty excited, and I like how it turned out.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Hidden secrets in the Lion King painting

Must keep motivated! One of the things that I have done to keep myself motivated on working on the Lion King, is I have the painting that my kit is based off of as the wallpaper on my work computer.
One day while looking at all the detail in the painting, I noticed something that is very easy to miss, and something that most likely the painter thought would be fun. In the bottom right corner area of the Lion King painting, there is an elephant with some birds perched on his tusks. The birds are in the cross stitch, no problem. But right next to the bird on the far right is something that isn't in the cross stitch (probably because the detail is too small to be able to do it). There is a very tiny Jiminy Cricket. I had to do a double take and stare for a moment the first time I noticed it, but it is surely there.
If you have a chance to find a large image of the painting, you should check it out! It is really neat.

Finished the car

I finished my Car, below are the pictures.
I started working on a tissue box cover, but I will have to set it aside for a short bit. In the course of a couple days, I actually got 2 commissions, so I will be working on those first. One of them will even take precedence over my Disney piece. No worries, though, since it shouldn't take me very long to complete it. This weekend I'll post pictures of my Disney progress as well.





Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Classic Car Keeper

Things have been crazy around my house over the weekend, so I haven't had time to take any pictures of my progress on the Disney Dreams project. Plus, I don't work on it every day, so I don't get much done every week. Next weekend I am going to be out of town for a wedding in the family, so I don't know if I'll be able to post then, either. I will try, though! If not, then the week after that I'll put up a post with 3 weeks of progress.

In the mean time, I'll post pictures of my other project.
I don't want to keep taking my Disney piece back and forth to work (that's just asking for an accident to happen), so I have separate projects for work and home. My work project is a plastic canvas car. I was browsing through the patterns on freepatterns.com, and found the pattern for the Classic Car Keeper. I fell in love with it.
Here are pictures of my pieces and progress so far. I decided to make the car a dark gray color rather than the hunter green that the pattern calls for (mostly because i already had the gray yarn). Also, I used brown plastic instead of the tan that the pattern called for (because Hobby Lobby didn't have any tan).
When I first started putting things together, it looked more like a boat than a car. In a way, it still does.



My only problem that I am running into with this car is that there are two pieces (one for each side) that I am trying to figure out how they attach to the whole thing. They are the front fender supports. The pattern tells where to attach it, but I don't know what direction and way the part faces. I skipped that part for now and will put everything else together and see if that helps narrow things down. If anybody knows how this attaches, please let me know!