Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Feeling sick about Qingming

So, if you have been reading my blog for a while, then you will know about my super huge project that is 22 meters long (click Qingming Festival in the labels list on the left).

Well, something happened to it.

I don't know exactly when or how or what, but there appear to have been a small liquid spill on the fabric roll. Because of the pre-printing on the fabric, I now have a technicolor splotch on the page 4 area, and possibly a much smaller blob on page 10-ish.
As soon as I found this, I felt sick. This is my baby. I spent a lot of money on this kit, and to find it like this was a kick to the gut. I had to put it away and not think about it for a good long while.

Now that I'm stitching again, I was most definitely hearing the call of Qingming. It wanted out of time-out, and wanted to be loved again. For the first time in over a year, I pulled it out and took a look at the "damage".
It's hard to tell due to all the colors, but I don't believe there is any actual permanent damage to the project. Luckily, I received a pattern book with this kit, so I can still stitch from the pattern on the splotchy area. I just can't wash that area because the rest of the printing will run off, as well.
Here is the splotchy area:



I am feeling much better about the project, and I will be stitching on it more, again. My plan is to finish page 3 by the end of the year, and have pages 4-6 done by the end of next year. We all know that plans don't really mean much when it comes to stitching, but I needed to have some goal set forward.

Now, we also recently had a WIP SAL in Stitch Maynia. I chose this one to work on.

Here is where I was when I left off right before the spill:


Here is where I was after stitching since then (yes! I got that large yellow spot stitched!):



Here is where I am after the one day SAL:


I have managed to stitch well over 2000 stitches since picking this back up the past week! I managed to find a rhythm in stitching this that allows me to go much faster than I normally do, so I can get through it quicker, especially when stitching large areas of the same color.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for the splotch on your fabric Sasha. But, very happy to hear that you will be able to work over it. It looks beautiful.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have been sick over the whole situation too. Luckily you have great reasoning since you didn't act right away which enabled you to save it! It looks great and I can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no. I was reading this and actually said Oh No out loud. Jeremiah said What Mom. I said She ruined her project. Jeremiah knows enough to be sad for me. Then I read it and said Oh I think it's okay. He said he's glad haha. Good kid. Hope it works out. Glad to see you are back in love with stitching. Nice thing about our stitching it can wait for us to come back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, I'm so glad you are going to still be able to finish it. I had something similar happen but it was not with cross stitch but similar. It was a diamond painting project I had set up on a card table in the garage so it would be "safe" from people spilling the little gems. It is also close to our extra freezer. Someone got a popsicle out and someone dropped the wrapper with a piece of orange popsicle inside on top of my project. I found it after it had melted and dried into a sticky mess. I did manage to save that but it took a little finangling. I'm really glad you have that pattern book so you can still do it but I know how it feels to have something you cherish and wanted to be perfect marred, even if it doesn't show when you are done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, I've always been afraid of any printed projects for this reason! If this happened to such a fantasticly large one like this I'd cry. And then wrap it in about 20 plastic bags when not working on it. Glad to see it out and worked on again~

    ReplyDelete