Pages

Sunday, October 21, 2018

My first Qsnaps!

Since I started my first HAED, I decided to treat myself and buy a set of Qsnaps, too. I see everyone using them, and keep hearing how great they are.
First, I did a little research on them, big shocker, I know. I decided on the 11x11 set, and I extended the splurge to include a grime guard (which should be in next week). I even went to Michael's and got some felt to put between the fabric and the snaps (because I am paranoid about damage to the fabric from the "teeth").

My Qsnaps came in yesterday, and I opened them right up. I was super excited, so I started to put them together when I noticed a problem. All around the lip of plastic where the connectors go in, I noticed a bunch of little cracks encircling it. If there was just one crack, I wouldn't have noticed, much less care, but there are a bunch all over the tip.
I quickly pulled out the other pieces, and inspected them, and they are all OK, just this one part is damaged. I wasn't sure if this was something seen with Qsnaps or something that just may happen over time, so I asked the awesome folks over at Stitch Maynia if it was normal, and I was assured that it was definitely not.



I went to Amazon and tried to initiate a return for my Qsnaps. The website then gave me an error that this item isn't returnable. Since it arrived damaged, though, I went ahead and initiated a chat on their website, and the agent was able to take care of everything. She was able to get the reorder processed within 2 minutes, and told me that this item doesn't need to be returned, so I can hang onto the damaged Qsnaps or throw them out, whatever I like.

While I am waiting for the new set, I decided to give the damaged one a try, to see what it is like to stitch with the Qsnaps. First thoughts, I really like it! I have tried using hoops in the past, but I don't care for them much. When the fabric gets loose, it's a pain to tighten it again, plus there are the creases that the hoop leaves, too. I will use these a little more, but so far so good!

Update: I got my new set of Qsnaps, and they also have this same cracking, but this time on 3 of the 4 parts. Ultimately, I have one whole set that works between both, so I'll just mix and match to use them. This is kinda disappointing. Maybe these are just from a bad batch, or something. Who knows?

2 comments:

  1. Two sets of damaged q-snaps? That sucks big time! Glad you were able to make one complete set out of them though. I hope you like them. I have never had any marks left by them like I do with hoops but they do get loose after some use so I have replacement clamps on standby ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like 8x8 Qsnaps. I find the 11x11 too heavy to hold easily. Whatever works best for you though. Weird about the cracking. Next time I have mine open I will look closer. I've never paid attention I guess.

    ReplyDelete