Pages

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Studying with Oregon Trail

My favorite crafty website, www.spritestitch.com, was having an August challenge to come up with a video game craft with the theme of "Back to School". I tried to come up with something along those lines. My mind started going toward school supplies. Originally I was going to make a folder, but I ended up making a cover for a 3-ring binder instead.

Then came the hard part, trying to come up with the theme. Going along with the back to school again, I started thinking of the games that I used to play in school. My favorite was always Oregon Trail. So, I got the sprites that I could, came up with a pattern, and made this: an original Oregon Trail binder cover!


 I think it came out great. I don't like the contrast between the gray and the brown, I wish the words showed up better on the front. This picture really makes it look unreadable, but in person it does look better. Otherwise, I am very pleased with it.


This next part was one of my favorite parts of the game. It was always frustrating to me to only be able to carry back 100 pounds of food, though, even though you had shot 1200 pounds worth. Come on! Like I couldn't have made multiple trips or gotten the rest of the family to help carry some!


To hold everything together, I just took a whole sheet of plastic canvas, cut it to the right height and then just cut it up the middle, then connected each piece to each edge to hold the cover on the notebook. 


On either side of the spine, I double stitched the "hinges" to give it more support and so it won't wear out as quickly. I have a series of in-progress pictures for this that I will add shortly. 
Don't you want one now?



3 comments:

  1. It turned out great. What are you going to do with it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Use it! I think I'm going to use this as my craft folder to hold loose patterns I have laying around. It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete