Pages

Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Con review: Shawnee Comic Con

Convention Name: Shawnee Comic Con
Date: Aug 15-16, 2020
Cost: $75, 1 10x10-ish booth
Location: Shawnee, OK
Grade: D

 This past weekend, I got to go to the Shawnee Comic Con again. I went last year, and had a great time. Since the Enid con 2 weeks ago went well, I figured this one would, as well. Well, no so much. 

The layout this year was much more spread out from last year, which is great. Last year, on one side of the room everyone was bunched up, and as things spread to the other side, there was tons of open space. It's understandable having more space this time, with Covid going around, but I think things went a little too far. The aisles were waaaay too wide, so people weren't being driven to each side of each aisle, they ultimately had to go down one side and back up the other side. It was just awkward. 

The turnout for this con was abysmal. I thought that with the good turnout 2 weeks ago in Enid, that this one would do well, too. This wasn't even close. The first day, there were only about 240 people that showed up. The second day, well.... it was mostly vendors shopping with other vendors for the first 3-ish hours. There weren't really any other people showing up. 

Luckily, at the beginning of day 2, the guy running things told us that due to poor turnout, if we wanted to leave early, we could. Also, this particular con isn't going to be held again, either, due to 2 bad years in a row.
I got to leave a couple hours early, which did help. 

Overall, I did OK. I made enough over the weekend to cover my expenses for the booth, hotel, and food both days. At this point, I would call that a win. I'm just glad I didn't lose money.
If this con was going to be held again, I don't think I would go, anyway. It wasn't worth it. 

Even with the poor turnout, it was still good to get out and do the con thing again. I did have a booth next to some friends, and got to chat with some other friends there, so that was good. I can't wait until things start picking up again.
This was my last confirmed con that has been paid for for this year. I have an application pending for one in November, and I have been keeping my eye on another one in October to see if they are going to proceed, or just skip this year.

 

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear the weekend was a disappointment, but I'm glad you didn't lose money, at least!

    ReplyDelete