Pages

Monday, September 23, 2019

Con review: LexiCon 2019

I am a member of several groups on Facebook, and I find them to be full of amazing information and support. My most recent group I joined is a network of Artist Alley vendors. I love the flow of information and sharing of tips on items, cons, manufacturers, etc.
One member just put up a bunch of reviews of the different cons that he has been attending, and I love the idea! I decided to do something similar here. I know that some people may not be very interested in the cons around the OK area, but I just want to share information. Plus, my readers can learn what I do on the weekends! (Although, I think I'm down to only 2 readers, now).




Convention Name: LexiCon 2019
Date: Sept 14, 2019
Cost: $10, 10x10
Location: Stillwater, OK
Grade: A

This was a small local con being run by the library.
I had been hearing good things about this con from multiple people, vendors I have met at other cons, so I decided to go ahead and apply. Gotta love the booth fee!
I was put on a waitlist right away. Apparently, this one fills up quickly, and even though I applied months in advance, I still wasn't quick enough. They also give preference to previous vendors, too.

While I was at SoonerCon back in June, I actually got my acceptance! I was super excited. I have been looking forward to this one for a while.

Check-in was pretty easy. They had already sent an email to vendors a week before, so they let us know where to enter and check in. I have things streamlined now, so I only have to make 2 trips from my car, which has helped me tremendously (especially since I go to these alone, my helper niece doesn't come to these anymore).
They pointed me to the room I was in, and also pointed out a refreshment room for the vendors, which I was excited about. I didn't expect this from a con that only cost $10! They had bottled water, bagels, crackers and cookies, raisins, etc.

My booth location was a bit awkward. This con was being held in a Community Center, wich I think may have been a school at one time. So, other than the gym area and dining area, there isn't much space to put people, other than in the classrooms, which is what they did. At first, I wasn't very thrilled with my location. I was in a room just off of the main entrance area, and initially I was kindof tucked into a corner. Because they gave us so much room, though, I was able to spread out a little bit and use the space to my advantage.
(that window behind me is to the vendor snacks area, too, so I was really close)


Despite being in a side room, I still saw quite a bit of traffic. I did very well, and set a new one-day-con record for sales. I will definitely do this con again and again. I was very pleased with everything.
The only issue I had (and it's super minor) is that when I was done unloading it took a while to find someone to tell me where we were supposed to park. That part got left out of the initial email.

I'm kindof glad this was just a one day con. I started coming down with something, and just tried to muddle through the day. I was sneezing, runny nose, scratchy throat, the works. The funny thing is, I didn't start getting these symptoms until I had already setup. I washed my hands a lot, and tried to not spread germs as much as possible.
I'm still getting over it, a week later, but I'm not nearly as miserable as I was that day.
Overall, it was a great day, though.

4 comments:

  1. One good thing about blogging about these is you can also look back and see how you did the last time. It will help keep them straight. So happy you were so successful. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a wonderful con. How nice of them to set up drinks and snacks for the vendors.
    I love how in this day and age it's so easy to exchange knowledge and experience about almost everything online!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still reading! I'm just massively behind (as you can see as I've just read this nearly three weeks later...). However, these con posts are confusing me. I have no idea what a con is. Well I do, but it's when you trick or scam somebody and I'm pretty sure that's not what you mean!! Can you explain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, Con is just the shortened version of Convention. So, Comic Con (or ComicCon) is just a shortened way to say Comic Convention!

      Delete